Sometimes, things just don't turn out the way I had planned. I don't usually do altered anything as I am completely into preserving my photo memories through scrapbooking. But I saw this altered book on http://cheekymagpie.blogspot.com/ and just had to give this a try. She gives a nice tutorial on how to do this but I made a few alterations to her plan.
1. Cheeky simply says to trim the book, but does not mention a size. I trimmed my book to 3/4" thick, thinking it would fan well. It does not.
2. After removing the cover, I trimmed it to the shape I desired and used it as my template. This part worked rather well.
3. Cheeky used an ink/water mixture to color her pumpkin and I used an ink pad directly to paper. I wish I had taken the time to give more coverage.
4. I used a stick about the same size as Cheeky shows, but sure had trouble getting in to sit in the spine of my book.
5. I added some wire I had sitting around but it is a bit thin and does not give the effect I wanted.
My husband was feeling a bit nostalgic as he watched me work. He remembers his mom making angels from old Reader's Digests when he was a kid. I sure hope her projects turned out better than this one did for me. I think I'll stick to scrapbooking!